"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down." said Todd Akin, a republican congressman from Missouri.
This is an affront on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.
If a woman gets pregnant as a result of rape, it's not legitimate? She must have wanted it? Are we really still having that argument?
Don't get me wrong: I am not pro-abortion nor would I even go so far as pro-choice. I believe as women, we've lost our way with this fight, that we should be at the forefront of protecting life. That the most powerful thing we can do is say that people, no matter how old or young, big or small, matter.
But when ignorant people who truly believe what they are saying come up with ludicrous statements like if the rape is "legitimate" the woman won't get pregnant, it's easy to see that the fight is not over. That we haven't come far enough. That the people in power who make the rules want to keep their power by keeping others down.
It shakes me out of whatever complacency may have been left and makes me want to stand up and shout. I hate that so much of the feminist movement has been tied up in abortion rights, but I understand where the fight comes from. It comes from men saying, if you had really been raped, you wouldn't have gotten pregnant.
No comments:
Post a Comment